EFT - Frequently asked questions
What is EFT?
EFT is based on the discovery that imbalances in the body's energy system have profound effects on one's personal psychology. Correcting these imbalances is done by tapping on meridian points, whilst being tuned into the issue to be resolved.
What can EFT be used for?
Please refer to The Benefits of EFT on this site for further information.
The range of problems or possibilities that EFT can be applied to are inexhaustible.A famous saying in EFT is "Try it on everything...." The meaning behind this is based on the understanding that:
- EFT is both very safe and easy to use and the worst that could happen is that you do not feel any shift in the problem (there is likely to be a deeper reason for this)
- People are achieving amazing results using energy therapies. Even seemingly incurable conditions may well improve using these techniques. Eyesight is one example of this.
- EFT is a complimentary therapy. If you find that it does not help your situation, contact the appropriate medical practitioner.
Do I need a therapist?
As in all therapeutic situations it is extremely helpful to work with someone that can mirror your situation. A well qualified EFT and TAT therapist/ practitioner will be able to navigate through problems and situations and arrive at core issues that once dealt with, will facilitate fast progress.
Quite often we will not take ourselves in to areas which feel uncomfortable and a therapist will provide the safe environment for this to take place.
An EFT therapist will be able to back up these simple techniques with their greater understanding and awareness of psychological terrain.
Does one have to believe in EFT in order for it to work?
EFT works whether you believe in it or not. My experience with EFT is that once people start getting results this creates belief in the process anyway and that this can then positively impact the therapeutic process.
IS EFT safe?
EFT is completely safe and there are no known negative side effects. There will be certain situations that a well qualified therapist will be able to handle better then a lay person which includes
- what to do in situations of heightened emotion
- what to do when the problem seems to become more intense
- avoiding the "ankle point" if the recipient is pregnant
Will EFT work for children?
EFT works wonderfully for children. It is gentle, quick and light hearted. A Teddy Bear (affectionately known as Tapping Bear) can be used to incorporate these powerful energy techniques in to the world of children.
What if it is too painful to me to talk about my problem?
There is no need for you to talk about your problem if you do not want to. There are specific ways of doing EFT that can be applied in these situations. The avoidance of retraumatising the recipient is a great benefit of these techniques and it is a regular occurence that relief is achieved without any detail being discussed.
In my opinion, one of the greatest benefits of EFT.
What about medical problems?
EFT is considered a Complementary Therapy and as such does should not replace seeking qualified medical advice where needed.
Why use EFT rather then a different form of therapy?
- EFT often works where all else has failed.
- EFT can get to the root of the problem very quickly.
- EFT is simple to use and can be used as a self help tool, which people find useful to assist them in times of need or to speed up the process when working with a therapist, by doing "homework" between sessions.
- EFT is safe.
- EFT can be done via the telephone, which means geographic location ceases to be a problem, and also that a therapist can assist in an emergency situation, such as a panic attack.
What wording do I use with EFT?
This is more simple then people often think. The trick is to keep it simple to begin with and focus on results rather then wording. Simply:
- use the problem state as the wording used, i.e. "This fear of speaking in public....."
- listen to the "little voice" in your head and verbalise what it is saying.
- Imagine you are moaning to a friend on the telephone - simply verbalise whatever's on your mind.
- think of what you want or your goal and then ask yourself what's stopping you from achieveing it. This barrier signifies the energy block and can be used as the wording.
Are there any negative side effects to EFT?
By comparison to almost any other process, EFT is gentle and rarely has any serious side effects. For this reason it is often used instead of other procedures. In 1997, an informal questionnaire was put out to 250 therapists asking for descriptions of significant abreactions with EFT or TFT. Out of an estimated 10,000 applications of these energy tapping procedures only 20 such cases were reported. This approximates 2/10 of 1%. This informal questionnaire is not put forward as an official study and therefore does not suggest that there is minimal risk involved. Anyone using EFT must assume full responsibility for their results and seek appropriate advice if needed.
Why are EFT affirmations stated in negatives?
Affirmations, in the classical sense, are designed to take you in positive directions. Thus their wording is always of an uplifting nature.
The purpose of EFT, on the other hand, is to eliminate the negative in order to pave the way for the positive. That is a MUCH different goal. One of the critical elements in EFT's effectiveness is that one must "tune in" to the problem. Otherwise, the energy balancing effect of the tapping for that problem will be of little use. It would be of no value, for example, to try to alleviate a memory of abuse with EFT whilst focusing on what you had to do the following day, the state of the world economy or the workings of a mobile phone! The energy disruptions wouldn't be there and so the problem could not be addressed.
Are the results long lasting?
Emotional healings are almost always long lasting. If a given emotional problem does appear to "come back," however, this could be for one of the following reasons
- What has "come back" is simply a related issue (aspect) that wasn't addressed in the first place.
- The original problem was addressed too generally and only partially neutralized.
- The cause of the problem is due to a sensitivity to something (an energy toxin).
Physical healings are often impressive and long lasting as well but are more likely to re-emerge than emotional issues. Often a physical ailment (headache, backache, stomach upset, etc.) acts as a physical manifestation of an emotional issue. Experienced EFT'ers see consistent evidence of this. Thus what appears to "come back" is simply the same physical ailment reacting to a different emotional issue. This theory may be debatable, of course, and there is no standard scientific evidence for it (yet).
What happens if EFT is not working?
- Try saying the wording with greater emphasis.
- Contact an experienced practitioner for guidance.
Is EFT simply a placebo or distraction from the problem?
No! Placebo effects require some belief in the process and this is rarely the case for newcomers to EFT. Also, although EFT may appear to be distracting, it will not work if the client is, in fact, distracted. That is why the client continually repeats a reminder phrase which "tunes in" to the problem.
Back to the Top
The benefits of EFT
- Releasing the effects of Abuse
- Dealing with Addictions
- Process Anger
- How to overcome Depression
- Resolving Eating Disorders
- Overcome Exam Nerves
- Fear of Public Speaking
- Help with Insomnia
- Recovering from ME/ Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
- Relief from OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder)
- Learn to Manage Pain
- Alleviate Panic Attacks
- Overcoming Phobias & Fears
- Effective technique to Stop Smoking
- Release Stress & Anxiety
- Release memories and effects of Trauma/ PTSD
- Weight Loss (What's really going on?)
Next popular Low Cost EFT Group Session - 10th December in Camden. More info here or reserve your place
EFT TRAINING COURSES - Join one of our EFT training courses in London
Next dates booking:
Level 1 and 2 - 30th November to 2nd December 2018 Find out more and reserve your place...
Level 3 Advanced Practitioner Training - Late 2019 - dates to be advised Find out more and reserve your place...
One-to-one therapy and coaching sessions available in London - Harley Street W1, Camden NW1 and Finchley Central N3
MENTORING & SUPERVISION for continued professional development for therapists, practitioners and students. Regular group or individual sessions face-to-face or Skype are available. Further information here
ALL TRAININGS ARE ACCREDITED BY AAMET International to ensure high levels of practitioner competence. Participants consistently review our courses as being focused, supportive and of outstanding quality.